[NFBNJ] NFBNJ: Testimonials & Pre-Registration form

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:10:15 UTC 2018

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Greetings to all!

If you have made plans and or pre registered for the state convention,
thanks.

If you haven't made plans or have not pre registered to attend the state
convention, please consider; it will change your life.

I have provided several testimonies that will inspire you to attend the 42nd
state convention, Live The Life You Want; Blind With Vision!

Note: I have received additional testimonies and a good number will be
posted shortly.

Below you will find a pasted pre registration form. The form is also
attached for your convenience.

If mailing, I just need the fill-in portion of the form with your check.

Please review and if any questions, please contact me at 973  743 0075 or
nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net> .

**

Testimonials From Our Members

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey has positively changed
many lives since its founding in 1976. If you wish your testimonial to be
included here, please submit to President Joe Ruffalo at
<mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net> nfbnj1 at verizon.net for consideration.

Carol Castellano:

We were lucky enough to learn about the NFB when our daughter Serena was a
baby. We began attending NFB conventions when she was in first grade and we
were desperate for help with her education. We received help and so much
more. Our daughter is an adult now and we are still active members of our
state NFB and we still attend conventions. What we found that first time is
what still inspires and energizes us each time we go-the message that blind
people can lead normal lives complete with a job, a family, friendships,
fun, and involvement in community life. We learn something new at convention
each year that can not only help our child but that we can take back to our
home state to help other blind kids and their families. Being part of the
NFB and attending NFB conventions is absolutely THE BEST thing you can do
for your blind child.

Amo Musharraf:

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of the NFBNJ State Convention.
This was an excellent event and I learned a lot and gained a lot of insight.
I met incredible, knowledgeable, inspirational people - and they left me
energized.

Christy Lynch:

It was 21 years ago, when a doctor said to me, "Ms. Lynch, I hate to drop
the bomb on you, but you will never be able to see again." Now I didn't have
much usable vision as it was, but what I had, I relied on so heavily. My
life, I thought, was over that day.

Fast forward 2 years later, we were sitting in the office of my occularist
waiting for my new eyes to be finished. I'd found a couple braille books on
the table. One, was the  <http://www.nfb.org/braille-monitor> Braille
Monitor. There were articles by many blind individuals and I thought to
myself, "These people are all blind?" So I thought, "Maybe I really aught to
try this Nfb out. I mean, if they can live independently, then so can I!" I
attended a few state conventions in Pennsylvania, my first national
convention in Philadelphia in 2001.

It's now 2017, I am currently working in Human Resources at Td Bank N.A., in
Mt. Laurel New Jersey. Just celebrated my 6th year anniversary. I attended
my 3rd National convention in Orlando Florida this year, and again, had a
wonderful time. Was inspired to keep going. I was fortunate to meet our
State President Mr. Joe Ruffalo, along with many others. I currently serve
as Secretary of the South Jersey Shore chapter of the National Federation of
the blind, as well as Secretary of the National Association of Blind Office
Professionals devision. Looking forward to attending my third New Jersey
state convention in November 2018 and fourth national convention in July
2018. I'm living the life I want, thanks to a great organization called the
National Federation of the blind.

Lydia Keller:

I was introduced to the NFBNJ from a friend in September 2007 and attended
my first  <https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention> state convention that
fall in Manahawkin. I witnessed throughout the weekend the many skills,
techniques and the positive attitude demonstrated at the state convention
and I realized that with training and hard work, I will gain my independence
that I needed and wanted to achieve. With this knowledge, I would share wit
others the gift of the Federation.

By gaining confidence, I have become involved in the NFBNJ by holding
multiple positions of leadership in several state divisions. With my
involvement in the divisions, I have been able to discuss several
opportunities to learn technology to better my life.

I am proud to be a member of the largest blind organization in the country
and in the state, The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey as we
raise expectations to live the life we want!

Chris Franz

My name is Christine Franz. I am vision Impaired and have Cerebral Palsy.
When I was going to school most of my teachers gave me coloring books and
crayons and M&M's to keep me quiet because they kept telling me I couldn't
learn anything. I met a wonderful lady named Jane in 2006 who introduced me
to her brother Joe. They encouraged me to learn other techniques so I could
do more by myself. After that, I went to the Joseph Kohn Rehabilitation
Center (JKRC) to learn activities of daily living skills so I can learn how
to live on my own. With Jane and Joe's excitement and encouragement I moved
out of a group home into my first apartment alone over 10 years ago. I went
to my first state convention in 2009. I believed in the NFB philosophy and
became more and more independent as the years went by. I learned a lot from
different people in the Federation, Such as how to act on a conference call,
and each one can teach one . I became more confident with so many friends of
mine in the federation.

I joined the Senior Division since it started in 2011, the Technology
Division in 2013, and the At Large Chapter since it was established in 2009.
I am grateful for all of you in the NFB that continue to assist me to be the
best I can be. Many of you have made me more confident and this makes me
much happier. I want to say to those new members that there are people that
believe in you here in our NFB family, just like I found and it has helped
me to live the life I want and need, and you can be the best you can be here
with our NFB family too

***

42nd ANNUAL STATE CONVENTION

November 1, 2, 3, 4, 2018

 RENAISSANCE WOODBRIDGE HOTEL

 <https://maps.google.com/?q=151+Route+72&entry=gmail&source=g> 515 US
Highway 1 South, Iselin, NJ 08830, 732-634-3600 (Use code NFB)

Access Link accessible-cross street Gill Lane

Join us at this year's convention!

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT-BLIND WITH VISION

Honoring Longtime Member BRIAN MACKEY

LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT- BLIND WITH VISION will feature Carla McQuillan, NFB
Board Member, President NFB of Oregon, & National Coordinator of the NFB
BELL Academy, along with other experts on Braille, education, legislation,
technology, employment, parents, students, seniors, diabetes, and much more!

FILL OUT REGISTRATION FORM on other side of this sheet.

Please bring a nonperishable food, household, or personal item
to donate to a local food pantry.

THURSDAY, NOV. 1

2:00 to 6:00 PM-Technology Seminar: LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT

3:00 to 9:00 PM-Exhibit Hall open

FRIDAY, NOV. 2

6:30 AM-Breakfast for those registered in the hotel

8:00 AM to 1:00 PM-Exhibit Hall open-featuring accessible voting machine

9:00 AM to 12:30 PM-Division & Committee Meetings: Seniors, Technology, At
Large, Sports & Rec, Diabetes, Braille

12:00 to 1:45 PM-Lunch

2:00 to 5:00 PM-Program-NJ Transit, Access Link, Library, EDGE (Employment
Development Guidance Engagement) Program for Teens, Support Service Provider
Program, iCanConnect, Entrepreneurs, & more

5:15 PM-Dinner-$40-open to all who preregister

7:00 PM-Resolutions Committee Meeting-open to all

8:00 to 11:00 PM-Music, Dancing, Karaoke, Audio Darts, Trivia Game -Let's
Learn Federation History, door prizes, auction items, cash bar available;
hosted by the State Affiliate and the Sports and Recreation Division

SATURDAY, NOV. 3

6:30 AM-Breakfast for those registered with the hotel

9 AM to 12 PM-General session-Presidential Report from President Joe
Ruffalo; National Report from Carla McQuillan; Dept. of Human Services
Update from Elisa Neira, Dep. Commissioner, DHS; CBVI Update from Dr.
Bernice Davis, Acting Exec. Director; Scholarship Recipients; BELL Academy;
Technology; Educational & Inspirational Presentations;, door prizes; auction
items; & more.

12:00 to 1:45 PM-Lunch

2:00 to 5:00 PM-Afternoon Session-Sports & Recreation 6-Dot Dash & Summer
Challenge; 1st Timers Experience; door prizes, auction items, & more

7 PM-Banquet, Keynote Address by Carla McQuillan, Scholarships,
Distinguished Service Awards, door prizes, auction items; cash bar available

SUNDAY, NOV. 4

6:30 AM-Breakfast for those registered with the hotel

7:00 AM-Devotions

8:15 to 11:30 AM-Business Meeting-open to all-Chapter, Division, Committee
Reports, Resolutions, Elections, door prizes, & auction items.

PRE-REGISTER & SAVE $15 PER PERSON!!!

See form on other side

SPECIAL ROOM RATE-$106 PER NIGHT (+ tax)  Includes breakfast!

Call 732-634-3600 to reserve your room right now. Use code NFB.

Special rate good Wednesday - Saturday nights.

Rate guaranteed till Oct. 5. After Oct. 5 rate may increase.

Register by Oct. 20 to be entered into a special drawing for a prize &
receive express registration at Convention.

Can't come to the Convention, but want to be placed on our distribution
list?   Fill in the form on the other side and mail or email to:

NFB of NJ, 254 Spruce St., Bloomfield, NJ 07003 or nfbnj1 at verizon.net
<mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

Friday Dinner & Saturday Banquet tickets will be collected at meals.  Pick
up or purchase tickets at the Registration Table.

Childcare will be available on Saturday only, by request.  PLEASE CALL

JOE RUFFALO at 973-743-0075 BY OCT. 15 TO REQUEST CHILDCARE.

For more information on the convention, please contact Joe Ruffalo, NFBNJ
President, at 973-743-0075, or visit www.nfbnj.org <http://www.nfbnj.org>
for updates and a list of   board members, chapters, divisions, committees,
programs, and projects.

Come to the LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT-BLIND WITH VISION Convention
You'll find what you need to succeed.

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION of the BLIND of NEW JERSEY

With love, hope, & determination, we transform dreams into reality.

Live the life you want; blindness does not hold us back.

Please mail to NFB of NJ, 254 Spruce St., Bloomfield, NJ 07003

____ I will attend the Convention.

____ I cannot attend the Convention, but please put my name on the mailing
list for more information.      * * * PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY * * *

Name/s __________________________________________________________

Please list names of all attending, including children, on separate sheet.

Address _________________________________________________________

City, State, Zip ____________________________________________________

Phone _______________________ Email ______________________________

REGISTRATION

Pre-Reg.

Walk-In

How Many?

TOTAL $

REG.-ADULT

$25

$30

$

REG.-Children 21 & Under

Free

Free

00

DINNER Fri., Nov. 2 ADULT or CHILD

$40

$45

BANQUETSat., Nov. 3 ADULT or CHILD

$40

$45

TOTAL ENCLOSED (Make check payable to NFB of NJ)

$

To pay via PayPal or Credit/Debit Card, use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari &
visit             https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention/registration

How many for each banquet selection:

___Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner      ___Vegetarian       ___Kosher

I would like my agenda in:  ___E-File   ___Large Print   ___Braille

Agenda will also be available on NFB Newsline and at www.nfbnj.org
<http://www.nfbnj.org>

__ I agree to abide by the NFB of NJ Code of Conduct during this event.

Code of Conduct can be viewed at www.nfbnj.org/code-of-conduct
<http://www.nfbnj.org/code-of-conduct>