[NFBNJ] Cane Donation BlurbAt State Convention

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 14 14:43:40 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!
Received from Vee Gaspa.
This is the third year that we have collected unwanted canes at the state
convention.
Please bring whatever you can and bring to the door prize table.
Info is provided for your sharing consideration.

From: Veronica Gaspa
Hello Joe,

Below is something James sent me that we can send to the membership.

Turn Your"convention" Into a "Cane-Vention!" With the

You Cane Give Initiative

Wondering what to do with that old cane you no longer use in the closet? Is
that drawer of used canes collecting dust and taking up space? Donate your
old canes to the "You Cane Give" program. We are collecting donated canes to
refurbish and send to individuals who are blind and visually impaired around
the world. Let's face it, we have it good in America. With the click of a
button, we can order almost anything we need, including a cane. In countries
like Mexico, China, India, and South Africa, people do not have access to
the proper tools to empower independence and success. Do not let your canes
go to waste!  "You Cane Give" allows you to help us give your used cane to a
person far away who needs it!

James Boehm has spoken with many individuals around the world who have
shared heartbreaking stories of family and friends who have died because of
attempting to travel across the street without a cane. Initially, our focus
was on empowering the blind, changing stereotypes, and equipping for
equality and independence. But we realized that it is so much more than
that. "Blind people are actually losing their lives," In our trip to Kenya,
blind organizations are referring to the shortage of canes as a "white cane
famine!" You Cane Give not only empowers the lives of the blind, but it also
saves lives. We are in need of canes in all sizes. We are able to send
folding canes overseas, but straight canes can be donated to individuals
within the United States. We have contacts in Peru, Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana,
the Philippines, and South Africa wishing for a cane of their own. As of
October 2019, we have sent over 400 canes to over 14 countries around the
world, thanks to your support! Our state convention is a great opportunity
to throw used canes into your suitcase. As a thank you, You Cane Give will
donate a Kustom Cane gift certificate and other cool accessories  for door
prizes as a thank you for your support! Bring your donated canes or tips to
the You Cane Give designated location!  Thank you so much!! We appreciate
your generosity!

-      James and Wendy Boehm, founders of You Cane Give

Want to make a donation or see where your canes are going around the world?
Well, then check out ']

our website: www.youcanegive.org <http://www.youcanegive.org>

Email: <mailto:youcanegive at gmail.com>  youcanegive at gmail.com

Also, here is our Facebook page: