[NFBNJ] Notes 03 April From President Ruffalo

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 6 22:21:29 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!

With spring comes growth, a new beginning and an opportunity to reflect on
the first three months of 2020.  Judy and I are hopeful that the next months
will bring much good for all to applaud.

Remember: To keep informed, please visit the following New Jersey website.

www.covid.nj.gov

In addition, for state resources in your county, dial 211.

Updated information is available on the National Federation of the Blind
Website.  We have provided the following information, please share.

COVID-19 Resources
The National Federation of the Blind is closely monitoring the COVID-19
emergency, which is changing everyone’s lives but has unique effects on
blind people. The health and safety of all of our members, colleagues, and
friends is always our top priority. Information on the NFB’s COVID-19
Resources page, www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources, provides resources
that may be particularly useful to blind people facing challenges during the
emergency. If you have found other resources that you believe are useful,
please email the information to communicationsteam at nfb.org For the latest
happenings with the NFB surrounding COVID-19, please visit www.nfb.org.

***

Items of Interest:

1.      Alexa and Updates For Newsline

2.      Stimulus Checks Information

3.      National Homework Assistance And Guidance

4.      Get Connected Subject COVID-19

5.      Braille Display Survey

1.      Alexa is extending a personal invitation for you to attend a
training on one of her great skills, NFB-NEWSLINE. Please join me this
upcoming Thursday evening, April 9, 2020 at 8:00 p.m. EST. During this
special event, Scott White will be sharing how to enable the skill and
quickly and efficiently read your favorite publication using the Amazon
Echo. Tune in on Thursday and get your questions answered by Scott and
Alexa.

To participate in the training, please use one of the options listed below.

Join Zoom meeting on your computer or mobile device by following this link:

https://zoom.us/j/519248521

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,519248521#

Dial: 646-876-9923;

Meeting ID: 519248521

During the Zoom call, you can raise your hand by clicking "raise hand." If
you are joining us by phone, you can raise or lower your hand by pressing
*9. All callers will be muted until they are called on to ask their
question(s) so as to cut down on background noise.

We look forward to you visiting with us on Thursday!

****

Newsline Update:

In an effort to bring the latest news on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) virus to
our subscribers, we are pleased to offer a new information source in our
"Breaking News: Online" category. This source of information is being
provided by Johns Hopkins University and is titled "COVID-19 Pandemic Data."
Johns Hopkins University is considered one of the leading worldwide
resources concerning statistics on this pandemic, and we are pleased that we
can offer it in an accessible audio and Braille format to our subscribers.

There are various sections in the COVID-19 data that you may access, and
they are broken down by the "Total State Cases," as well as "World Country
Data Cases." To further provide specific state or international detail, you
can select "States" or "World Regions" in an alphabetical range. This data
is continuously updated throughout the day with the most recent statistics.

Just like with the Breaking News search results which we added to everyone's
Alexa's favorite number 1, we have added this to everyone's favorite number
2 for ease of access.

You can access this new information source by issuing the command: "Alexa,
ask National Federation to read favorite 2. Recall that we do have an
electronic file containing other commands that you can use with the
NFB-NEWSLINE skill for Alexa. If you would like a copy, please contact us.

Access the COVID-19 information using the telephone by pressing 5 from the
main menu, then press 1 for the "Breaking News: Online" category, followed
by pressing the 1 key, which will bring you to the virus search results, or
press 2 for the Johns Hopkins data. If you are using the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile
iOS app, look for the virus information under the "All Publications"
section. Web News on Demand users can find the COVID-19 information by
selecting "Publications Organized by State," and then "Breaking News
Online".

We hope that you find the COVID-19 information on NFB-NEWSLINE to be
beneficial for keeping you and your family safe during this health crisis.

If you have ideas on other Coronavirus related material that you would like
to see on NFB-NEWSLINE, please write Scott White at swhite at nfb.org or call
866-504-7300.

National Federation of the Blind | nfb.org | 866-504-7300 |
nfbnewsline at nfb.org

****

2.       If you filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return you  will automatically
receive a stimulus check.

However, if you did not file a tax return you can still get a check. To do
so you will need to complete a simplified tax return which will be available
shortly. Information can be found at www.IRS.Gov/CoronaVirus
<http://www.IRS.Gov/CoronaVirus>

Pasted below is information directly from the IRS website. There are more
answers to questions there.

>From the website:

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my
payment?

Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a
simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income
taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and
individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax
return will not owe tax.

How can I file the tax return needed to receive my economic impact payment?

IRS.gov/coronavirus <https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus>  will soon provide
information instructing people in these groups on how to file a 2019 tax
return.

****

3.    What: The National Homework Hotline for Blind/Visually Impaired
Students (NHH-BVI) is a free service for K-12 and college students in the
United States who are experiencing school closures due to COVID-19.

Areas of hotline help include, but are not limited to:

·         JAWS

·         Voice Over for macOS and iOS devices

·         Nemeth and literary braille

·         Cranmer abacus

·         Refreshable braille displays

·         Core Curriculum Subjects (Math, ELA, Science, Social Studies)

Who: NHH-BVI responders are experienced TVIs, tutors, blind mentors, STEM
professionals,  and college students

How: Support requests are submitted by email or phone. Volunteer responders
provide call backs from M-Fri 12pm-8pm EST. Most requests receive a response
within 24 hours.

To request support, email nationalhomeworkhotline.bvi at gmail.com or call
732-835-6672.

Include the following information:

·         student’s first name and grade in school

·         specific description of the help that is needed

·         telephone number for hotline responder to call

Brianna Murray

EDGE 1 Program Coordinator

Family Resource Network

Employment Development Guidance and Engagement

Joseph Kohn Training Center

****

4.       Several of you have asked for a space for those struggling
emotionally during this difficult time. The NFB of Tennessee and NFB
of Colorado are offering a zoom session focused on connection during this
time that can feel full of isolation.  Join facilitator James
>Boehm forQuarantine Connect on Friday, April 10 at 6 Pacific, 7
Mountain, 8 Central, and 9 Eastern. Share Something that you do that
keeps you connected and centered to jboehm at nfbtn.org and Connect
with us this Friday.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/837443108?pwd=UGFBaHVQM2oyWjNxVXU4YkRJZWNtUT09

Meeting ID: 837 443 108
Password: 016009

One tap mobile
+17207072699,,837443108# US (Denver)
+13462487799,,837443108# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 837 443 108
password, if requested: 016009

Find your local number: https://us04web.zoom.us/u/f9nk2HFla

****

5.      Calling all Braille Display users!

I hope you are all safe and sound! This email is an invitation to join me in
helping to make Braille displays more useful and life changing by taking
this brief 23 question survey. We want to know what annoys you when using
Braille Displays. In return you will enter a drawing for a 100 dollar gift
card to

Amazon. You have until April 30th to complete the survey.

Simply click here to take the survey.

At Vispero, we want to make innovative solutions that change lives! To do
so, we believe we need to listen to our users and understand their needs.
Therefore

this is your chance to tell us what improvements need to be made in Braille
displays! Your input is directly shared with designers and project managers

and will be integrated into our products.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us make products that change
lives! Please stay safe!

Joel Persinger

UX Manager

17757 US Hwy 19 N #560, Clearwater, FL 33764

T: 727.803.8000 x1167 C:316.206.3774

JPersinger at vispero.com

www.vispero.com

*****