[NFBNJ] President Riccobono's Notes From The Notebook week of August 17 2020

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 18 01:15:54 UTC 2020

Greetings to all!
I have pasted several items of interest from President Riccobono’s Notebook
for week of August 17, 2020.
Hope all are well.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

----

Action Fund 2021 Braille Calendars:
The 2021 Braille calendars are ready! You can order up to three calendars at
https://actionfund.org/resources/braille-calendars, by calling 410-659-9315
and pressing 2, or by emailing actionfund at actionfund.org. These calendars
are available courtesy of the American Action Fund for Blind Children and
Adults.

Comments: If you are considering ordering, don’t hesitate.  The product is
popular and move very quickly.

Braille Books:
You may occasionally be asked whether the Federation has use for Braille
books. As you know, we host a Braille book fair, sponsored by the American
Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, at convention each year—at least
at our in-person conventions. While we gladly accept Braille book donations
for the fair, the needs are specific. Books should be in good condition and
titles that an adult or child would enjoy reading. We do not typically
accept textbooks or magazines. Anyone donating more than a title or two
should send a list of available titles to Melissa Riccobono at
melissa at actionfund.org before shipping anything to the Jernigan Institute.
Those who would still like to share titles that may not be suitable for the
book fair can create an account on ShareBraille
(https://www.sharebraille.org) and post any available titles.

 Comments:Recycling material is valuable to the donor and the recipient.

Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research:
The National Federation of the Blind’s Journal of Blindness Innovation and
Research is the scholarly journal created by blind people designed to
address the real problems of blindness. Some of the topics in this newest
issue include:

  a.. Association between mentoring and STEM engagement
  b.. Adjustment to blindness
  c.. Route learning
Read the latest JBIR articles now. JBIR is also available on NFB-NEWSLINE®.

Comments: The above are much reads.

New Blog—When Assertiveness and Confidence Made All the Difference:

Dr. Marc Maurer, Immediate Past President of the National Federation of the
Blind, stated in one of his iconic speeches that we are tired of being told
to sit down and wait, that we spend too many hours waiting, and that we
intend to take control of our own lives. Read Ever Lee Hairston’s experience
where she refused to sit and wait for a flight.

Comments: How many times have we been asked to sit and wait?

Enjoy the Many NFB Songs:
One of the more unique organizational traits of the National Federation of
the Blind is the central role that songs have played in our community. Enjoy
the 2020 National Convention Choir songs and the many other songs in our
Jacobus tenBroek Library vault. Access the NFB songs now!

Comments: Between zoom calls, take time out and enjoy the NFB songs.

Unemployment Benefits Survey:
The National Federation of the Blind is investigating barriers and denials
related to unemployment benefits. If you have been terminated or laid off
from your job within the last two years, please take time to complete our
important survey, available at www.nfb.org/legal.

Comments: please share with others.

Dates to Keep in Mind

  a.. September 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  b.. September 13: Open-House Gathering call, 4:00 p.m. eastern
  c.. October 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  d.. October: Meet the Blind Month
  e.. November 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  f.. December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  g.. December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
  h.. February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work