[NFBNJ] Fwd: IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ACCESS LINK CUSTOMERS

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Fri Oct 29 00:59:01 UTC 2021

--------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tucker, Kris M. (CCAFKMT)<KTucker at njtransit.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 1:13 PM
Subject: IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ACCESS LINK CUSTOMERS

Dear Access Link Customers,

As New Jersey’s statewide provider of bus, rail, light rail and paratransit
service, we understand how important reliable service is to our customers.
In particular, we recognize how critical this reliability is for our Access
Link customers who often depend on NJ TRANSIT as their only means of
mobility for medical appointments, shopping, work, school and other
essential travel needs.

As many of you are aware, the recent performance of our Access Link service
provider has not met the high standards we’ve established and, more
importantly, they are not meeting the expectations of customers in two of
the five regions we serve throughout the state. Customers in Northern New
Jersey’s Region 5 (Essex, Union, Morris, Somerset) and Region 6 (Bergen,
Hudson, Passaic) are currently experiencing delays that may exceed 60
minutes due to a variety of reasons, including automobile traffic that is
at or beyond pre-pandemic levels and weather impacts – but largely the
result of the nationwide driver shortage that’s been exacerbated by the
COVID-19 pandemic and is affecting transit agencies across the country. We
know you’re frustrated. We are too.

We also want you to know that we’ve been working hard on solutions with our
service provider that restores the service reliability that our Access Link
customers expect and deserve, including:

• Aggressive recruiting, hiring and training of qualified drivers to build
back the depleted ranks
• Actively exploring new partnerships with Transportation Network Companies
(TNCs) to supplement service
while the service provider continues to staff up
• Evaluating alternative solutions from the service provider to augment
staff while continuing to actively recruit
drivers

The service delivery issues in Region 5 and Region 6 have also impacted our
call center resulting in higher call volumes and longer hold times. NJ
TRANSIT has taken swift and substantive action to improve the customer
experience, including:

• Investing in technology, including an upgraded phone system with more
available phone lines and establishing a dedicated reservation-specific
option from the phone menu
• Adding approximately 30 additional reservationists by the end of November
• Improving internal business processes that minimize the transferring of
customer phone calls
• Proactively reaching out to customers whose travel is significantly
delayed, to inform them and assist them with
rescheduling
• Promoting the use of available digital technology on the mobile app and
through the website’s Access Link
Online application

On behalf of NJ TRANSIT’s Access Link team, I sincerely apologize for any
inconvenience you may have experienced and please be assured that Access
Link is doing everything possible to resolve these issues as quickly as
possible. Customers may reach out to the Access Link team at any time at
adaservices at njtransit.com or by phone at 973-491-4224.

Sincerely,
Michele Stiehler
General Manager, Access Link
--

​Warmly,
Email: president at nfbnj.org
*Website: **www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*