[NFBNJ] Week of January 10, 2022 President Riccobono's Notebook and National Items of Interest

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Mon Jan 10 20:43:02 UTC 2022

Greetings all,

To stay connected with our National Office and the work of our organization
I am sharing President Riccobono's weekly notebook, National Items of
Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind.

Please read and save for future reference.

Email: president at nfbnj.org

****

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org
410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

January has started off with a flurry of activity. If you missed it, we
announced a significant increase to the Federation’s scholarship program
(read below), and we have been pursuing the question of at-home COVID
testing accessibility with an intense effort to get the attention of the
administration.

I was interviewed by the local ABC affiliate here in Baltimore, and an
article appeared today in the New York Times quoting me on at-home testing
accessibility issues. If you have not already activated members in your
affiliate/division on this topic, please do so. If you learn about the
accessibility of a particular kind of at-home COVID test, please share that
with our staff here at the national office. Karl Belanger (kbelanger at nfb.org)
is taking the lead on compiling information about test accessibility.
Critical Actions: Help Push for Answers Regarding At-home COVID-19 Tests

The Biden administration announced that it will be distributing free
at-home COVID-19 tests to households in the United States. It is critical
that these tests be accessible nonvisually. Help push for answers by
engaging on Twitter. Twitter is a social media platform that provides a
public opportunity to demand that the Biden administration put accessible
systems in place for test distribution and work with us and test
manufacturers to make the tests accessible. Learn how you can help in this
recent email to members.
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/view?id=2530&reset=1>
News: Important Scholarship Program Updates:

As one of our longest-running and most important initiatives, the National
Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind students reach
their educational and employment goals and so much more. Building on its
strong foundation, we are now significantly enhancing the awards granted
and making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful for
the finalists. Read the press release on the scholarship program
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-enhances-largest-scholarship-program-blind-scholars>.
Encourage students to apply. Share the Braille Monitor article, National
Federation of the Blind 2022 Scholarship Program
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2201/bm220113.htm>.
Applications Open—NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition:

The National Federation of the Blind is offering one three-week virtual
program of the NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition this summer to prepare
blind and low-vision children to grow into confident and independent blind
people by enhancing their education. Options are available for beginner,
intermediate, and advanced students July 18 through August 5, 2022. Space
is limited. In-person options coming soon! Applications for NFB BELL
Academy In-Home Edition are now open
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy>.
Upcoming Event—Digital Streaming Services:

Learn all about how you can enjoy music, movies, and live television from
practically any internet-connected device. Join the National Federation of
the Blind on January 25, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. eastern, to discuss what
these services offer, how accessible they are, and what to consider when
subscribing to a service. Take advantage of this free opportunity and register
for the accessibility boutique
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
today!
January Presidential Release Available:

The January Presidential Release is available on the NFB website
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>.
January Braille Monitor Available:

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the 2022 National Convention,
voting, the scholarship program’s important updates, visual descriptions,
and many stories from members. Access the Braille Monitor now.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2201/bm2201tc.htm>
Read the Latest Blog Post:

Danielle McCann shares her insights to the questions she receives about
being blind from people who are experiencing significant changes in their
vision or are relatives of newly blind people. Read our latest Voice of the
Nation’s Blind Blog, It’s OK Not to Be OK
<https://nfb.org/blog/its-ok-not-be-ok>.
Where the Blind Work Webinars:

As part of our Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) initiative, the
National Federation of the Blind presents another in a series of Where the
Blind Work webinars on Wednesday, January 26, at 8:00 p.m. eastern, via
Zoom. Hear from a panel of blind professionals in a variety of fields and
engage in Q&A. For information about how to register, please contact
Maurice Peret, coordinator of career mentoring and employment programs, at
410-659-9314, extension 2350, or mperet at nfb.org
2022 Virtual Career Fair:

Attention job seekers, employers, and rehabilitation professionals: In
conjunction with the National Federation of the Blind’s Washington Seminar,
the 2022 Virtual Career Fair is to be held on February 7, from 11:00 a.m.
to 1:00 p.m. eastern.

This is your opportunity to identify potential qualified candidates or
career opportunities, increase your professional network, and to learn
about important business and workforce trends. Preparatory webinars for job
seekers and employers will occur on Monday, January 17, and Monday, January
24, at 7:00 p.m. eastern.

Job seekers should include a current resume with their registration to be
shared with employers. For information about how to register, contact Dick
Davis at dickblind at gmail.com or John Dubay at jdubay at leadsatscale.com.
Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

   - February 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m.
   - February 7-10: Washington Seminar
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>
   - March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
   - July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans