[NFBNJ] NLS -Operations Alert 22-05 (January–February 2022 TBT in large print)

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Tue Jan 25 21:52:26 UTC 2022

Important Notice please read:

 NLS Operations Alert

 No. 22-05

 DATE         :  January 25, 2022

TO             :  Network Libraries

FROM        :  Kristen Fernekes, Head, Communications and Outreach

SUBJECT  :  January–February 2022 *TBT *in large print

 Due to significant and worsening supply-chain issues and worldwide paper
shortages, *the* *large-print edition of Talking Book Topics (TBT)
January–February 2022 will not be printed.* The US Government Publishing
Office (GPO) has informed NLS that these problems are expected to continue
through the end of 2022, and likely beyond.

 We strongly encourage network library staff to direct patrons to the six
other formats in which *Talking Book Topics*can be read and enjoyed:

 HTML, www.loc.gov/nls/tbt, linking to BARD for downloading or adding books
to wish lists

   -
   - PDF, www.loc.gov/nls/tbt, containing a printable order form
   - Audio cartridge, which comes with a print order form
   - BARD audio magazine, downloadable to cartridge or to BARD Mobile wish
   list
   - *Braille Book Review*’s *TBT* Abridged section in hardcopy braille
   - *Braille Book Review*’s *TBT* Abridged section as a BRF downloadable
   through BARD or from www.loc.gov/nls/bbr

Patrons can also learn about the latest titles added to BARD through the
“Recently added books and magazines” link on the BARD website or the
“Recently added to BARD” feature on the “Get Books” tab on the BARD Mobile
app.

 We also ask that you share the following message with patrons through any
available channels:

 “Patrons who subscribe to *Talking Book Topics (TBT)* in large print will
not receive the January–February 2022 issue in paper format due to ongoing
supply-chain issues and worldwide paper shortages. Patrons can access
*TBT* January–February
2022 online in HTML and PDF right now at www.loc.gov/nls/tbt. *TBT* in HTML
contains direct links to BARD for downloading or adding books to wish
lists, and *TBT* in PDF contains printable order forms for mailing.
*TBT* January–February
2022 in audio will be available on cartridge and on BARD and BARD Mobile
the first week in February. Additionally, *TBT* Abridged will be available
through *Braille Book Review*in hardcopy braille and BRF on
www.loc.gov/nls/bbr.”

 Please make sure your reader advisors are familiar with these alternate
formats and can advise patrons who need assistance.

 NLS will keep you informed as we learn more about the long-term outlook
for printing *TBT* and other NLS serialized publications. We appreciate
your help in sharing this update with all of your staff and providing your
patrons with the necessary information for accessing the January–February
2022 issue in alternate formats.

 For more information, please contact:

krfe at loc.gov
--

Greetings,

president at nfbnj.org
*www.nfbnj.org* <http://www.nfbnj.org/>
*Facebook: **https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238*
<https://m.facebook.com/NFB-NJ-353099574776238>
*Twitter: **@NFBNewJersey* <https://twitter.com/nfbnewjersey>
*YouTube: **NFBNJTransformDreams*
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKEDbjGsCYHMlwd4gqpBPjg>

*Live the life you want.*
*The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s
blind. Everyday we work together to help blind people live the lives they
want.*