[NFBV-Announce] Last Minute Full Scholarships for BLIND Inc Buddy Program for students 9-13 – August 6-20

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 21:05:53 UTC 2022

Sometimes, outstanding opportunities are available at the last minute.

Our National Federation of the Blind Training Center in Minnesota has a few slots available for students ages 9-13 to attend the empowering Buddy program from August 6-20 in Minneapolis.

Thanks to a generous grant, they can offer fantastic scholarships for this 2 week Summer enrichment program to offset the entire cost of the program.

In addition, the Potomac Chapter, through a generous grant from the Kiwanis Club of Arlington, can offer transportation funding for students to attend.

We know this is totally last minute but we wanted to share this great opportunity to provide our students with the skills and attitudes to succeed.

Questions about the program should be directed to the BLIND Inc team with contact information provided below. Questions about transportation funding should be directed to Tracy Soforenko.

***

Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions (BLIND), Inc.

Buddy Program 2022:

Come to gain blindness skills, and leave with lifelong friends!

Apply today to the 2022 Buddy Program, a summer program for all blind and low vision students ages 9 to 13!

When: August 6-August 20, 2022!

Where: BLIND, Inc.; 100 East 22nd St. Minneapolis Minnesota, 55404

Application Deadline:

What: “Buddies” will gain important blindness skills along with the empowering attitudes about blindness and exposure to the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) while exploring and experiencing the Twin Cities.

Program: Buddies will learn Braille reading and writing, cane travel, adaptive technology, independent living skills, and much more! Buddies will also have the ability to craft new friendships with  their blind/low vision peers that will last a lifetime! Buddies will have an educational and recreational experience with program counselors, most of whom are blind college students. Buddies will learn to prepare meals under the supervision of the instructors.  Buddies will also learn how to travel effectively using the public transit system! These skills will be beneficial for a lifetime!

Confidence Building Activities: Buddies will participate in other activities around the Twin Cities. Activities may include: visiting the Mall of America, exploring a museum, adaptive cycling, indoor rock climbing, and more! Buddies utilize the skills they are taught in the program while participating in these fun activities.

Cost: Contact BLIND, Inc. as scholarship opportunities exist to offset up to the full amount of the program.

Contact Michell Gip, Youth Services Coordinator, at 612-872-0100, Ext. 231, or  <mailto:mgip at blindinc.org> mgip at blindinc.org for more information or an application.  We accept payment plans, and some funding may be available for those in need.

Apply today to ensure your space in the 2022 Buddy Program!

--

Daniel J. Ashman, CLVT

Special Projects Coordinator

Mobile: (612) 547-9821

Phone: (612) 872-0100 x 232

Fax: (612) 872-9358

Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions, Inc.

100 East 22nd Street

Minneapolis, MN 55404