[Trainer-talk] Screen Reader Users Teaching Magnification Software?

Reginald George adapt at kc.rr.com
Fri Jul 31 15:00:07 UTC 2015

I am totally blind, and I do teach ZoomText to a point.  I at least help
clients to discover their preferences and save them.  I went through
ZoomText University and got my ZT certification.  That being said, I don't
find it easy or comfortable all the time.  Especially if they are a new
computer user, and don't know Windows well.  If they want to use their
mouse, and this is perfectly appropriate for many people who's site is
fairly stable, then I can't always know where they are on the screen.  And
they can't always tell me.  Getting them used to panning and scrolling and
finding where they are can be challenging.  It's easy to demonstrate
features like the app reader, changing views, and so on.  You leave the
speech on, and this helps you to know if they are following your
instructions.  You throw the mouse overboard and teach some keyboard
commands, and in general try to get them to be verbal about what is working
for them.

Reg