[Trainer-Talk] Anyone use cisco jabber

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Mon Dec 12 19:47:15 UTC 2016

Sorry for the cross-postings but I'm hoping someone on either list uses Cisco Jabber.

This is the new voip-based soft phone system that's just been installed for us at work. It's unified communications and has instant messaging, conferencing, calendaring and all sorts of other communications-oriented abilities. It is using a Cisco-specific protocol, not sip, otherwise I'd just use a more accessible client like Phoner Lite or MicroSip.

Anyway, I've tried three screen readers and all of them read gibberish when I tab around the interface. I have an accessibility guide from Cisco with keyboard shortcuts, so I can make, answer and decline calls, but I can't figure out how to do anything else, and if I'm in the wrong place, pressing Enter sends an instant message  or does something else I didn't plan to do. I think screen readers have no idea where the focus is located most of the time. In particular they find many unlabeled edit boxes, and I can't figure out what each one is for, or in which one I'm typing.

I found a cisco page with JAWS scripts but you need a Cisco ID to download them and they are for an older version of Jabber and an older version of JAWS. I am an end user with no Cisco ID and the vendor who supplied the system doesn't know what JAWS is.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can better use this software? The accessibility guide from Cisco touts how accessible it is, but I'm wondering if that was merely cobbled together after the fact to keep authorities happy!

I'm running the latest NVDA, WindowEyes and JAWS - not simultaneously, of course. This is Jabber11.7.0.

--Debee