[Trainer-Talk] Best braille display

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 20:19:39 UTC 2016

Hi Kerry,
I would also like to get a 40 cell display. I bought the Focus 14 Blue
from Freedom Scientific several years ago which at that time was
$1,295, which is the same price as the Smart Beatle from Hims. For me,
I like all of the various buttons on the display, since they feel more
natural to me and I can have a choice whether to use the buttons or
the commands to navigate on the display. I primarily use the Focus
with my iPhone 6S, but it would be good to be able to use it with the
computer as well. The Focus 40 Blue is around $2,800 I believe, 40
cells and is similar to the smaller 14 Blue model. Both displays can
connect via USB or Bluetooth. I am also interested in the Hims and
Baum displays, like the Vario Ultra, since they can store information
in the display and can pair with multiple devices at once. Pairing
with multiple devices would really be awesome since I could pair it
with my phone, my Mac, my work Widnows computer, and perhaps other
devices. I believe that the Vario Ultra and the Hims displays are the
only ones on the market currently that can pair with more than one
device. If you can wait awhile, I know there is work on a cheaper
display for around $500 or less, though no word has been put out to
when it will be released or how much it will be. I heard in the
January Presidential Release that they were showing a prototype at
Washington Seminar of a cheaper display for people to look at and
check out. I suspect that we will hear more about it at the convention
this summer.

Good luck,
Wayne

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/trainer-talk_nfbnet.org/gaccesstt%40gmail.