[NFBMD] Opinions on Using Lift and Uber

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Fri Oct 2 12:24:44 UTC 2015

Hi Michelle,

I have used both apps and had good experiences with both of them, although I primarily use Uber. Nowadays I stick with Uber mostly because I can use Apple Pay, which means I don't have to store any credit card information on Uber's servers. I tried to use Apple Pay with Lyft, as it claims to  support it, but with no success. In my experience both apps are accessible, although Uber's app currently has an accessibility bug; they are aware of this (in fact, we found out about it from them) and it should be fixsed by the time you have the resource day. The National Federation of the Blind, at the national level, is working closely with both companies to improve the experience for blind users. The NFB of California did sue Uber and as far as I know the case is still pending; the last I heard it was going to mediation but I don't believe any formal settlement has come out of that.

Hope all this is helpful. I believe that having both companies at your resource day will be helpful to participants and to the companies as well, since they will get more feedback from blind users on how to improve.

Warmly,

Chris Danielsen