[NFBNJ] ​Week of January 18, 2022 President Riccobono's Notebook and National Items of Interest

Linda Melendez president at nfbnj.org
Thu Jan 20 14:23:07 UTC 2022

*President’s Notebook*

* National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono *
*officeofthepresident at nfb.org* <officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
*410-659-9314*
Critical Actions: Securing At-Home COVID Tests from the Federal Government:

We learned yesterday that https://www.covidtests.gov/ is live for people to
order free COVID19 tests from the federal government. While the website can
be used by blind people to order tests, we have no information from the
government yet about the accessibility of those tests or accessible
instructions for those tests. When we secure information from the
government, we will share it with Federation members.
At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits:

Also we are gathering information regarding the accessibility of at-home
COVID-19 test kits and websites used to order these tests from all
entities, including and in addition to the federal government’s. Please
share your experiences via NFB’s Access to COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing
Survey
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey?q=programs-services%2Flegal-program%2Faccess-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey>
and/or
with Karl Belanger at kbelanger at nfb.org.
Remembering Marsha Dyer:

Some of you have asked about plans to offer a virtual connection to the
memorial event for Marsha Dyer on February 10. We will plan to offer a
virtual connection. We will share those details as soon as they are
available.
News: 2022 Washington Seminar Updates:

As a reminder, we announced last week that we will be hosting the entirety
of the 2022 Washington Seminar virtually. This was a tough decision for us,
but we ultimately felt that it was the best course of action for the health
and safety of our members.
Civil Rights Museum of the Blind:

The National Federation of the Blind has begun the initial planning of a
state-of-the-art museum dedicated to the civil rights struggle of blind
Americans, including the history of our organization as the leader in the
blind civil rights movement. Our museum will highlight the struggles,
triumphs, and challenges blind people have experienced and the
contributions we have made as we continue to secure our place in the world
as fully participating citizens.

We would like to obtain your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions to help
with the planning of our museum. We would appreciate it if you would take
the time to complete our online or telephone survey. You can complete the
survey online,
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1byRFNrP1741YzcukC0pcG3s4_1ufxpRuPTGXAM_q-JE/viewform?edit_requested=true>
or
you can complete the telephone survey by calling 229-632-7878 or,
toll-free, 833-632-7878.
Career Opportunities:

The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals to
join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of interest
including Braille production, DEI, digital communications, fiscal services,
government affairs, and membership. We encourage candidates seeking to join
our movement to submit a general interest cover letter and résumé to us
expressing the types of positions being sought. Learn more and share the
opportunities: https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities
Code of Conduct FAQs Updated:

The National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct Frequently Asked
Questions
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/code-conduct-frequently-asked-questions>
 are updated and available to help with more understanding of our Code of
Conduct. The FAQs can be found along with additional resources like the
Obligations of Elected Leaders document at nfb.org/codeofconduct
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct>*.*
Read the Latest Blog Post:

Karl Belanger shares a review of the BrailleSense 6. He discussed the
physical description, basic operation, math, internal programs, Android
apps, and accessories. Read our latest *Voice of the Nation’s Blind*
*Blog* post,
“The BrailleSense 6: Better, Faster, Familiar
<https://nfb.org/blog/braillesense-6-better-faster-familiar>*”*
Independence Market:

Products of the Month:

Talking Non-Contact Thermometer - $50.00

Talking Oral Thermometer - $18.00

Ladies Gold Bracelet Braille Watch - $155.00

Sale and Close-Out Items (Limited Supplies):

*The Prophet* by Kahlil Gibran, Audio, Read by Kenneth Jernigan - $5.00

*The Prophet* by Kahlil Gibran, Braille - $7.50

Camera Bag - $1.00

Monocular with Case - $3.00
Lyft Denials Due to Service Animals:

NFB and NAGDU will be gathering stories in video format from individuals
who are denied rides because of their service animals by Lyft drivers
during the week of January 24-30. For more information please visit NAGDU’s
webform <https://forms.gle/jLY8NiL7G6GgbrHS6>, and in the meantime, please
continue to document rideshare discrimination experiences through NFB’s
rideshare discrimination survey
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-survey>
.
Final Days of the 2021-2022 Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest:

The American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults runs the Braille
Readers Are Leaders contest to promote Braille reading for both blind
children and adults. The 2021-2022 contest is winding down and concludes on
Friday, January 21. The last day to log minutes you have read between
December 1, 2021, and January 21, 2022, is January 28, 2022. If you have
any questions, please email BrailleReadingContest at actionfund.org.
2022 Virtual Career Fair:

The 2022 Virtual Career Fair will be held on February 7, 2022, from 11:00
a.m. to 1:00 p.m., eastern. This is an opportunity for employers to
identify candidates and for job seekers to network and learn about
important business and workforce trends. Job seekers should also include a
current résumé with their registration to be shared with employers. For
information about how to register, contact Dick Davis at dickblind at gmail.com or
John Dubay at jdubay at leadsatscale.com.

A preparatory Fearless Interviewing webinar for blind job seekers will
occur on Monday, January 24, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern.

Please click the link below to join the webinar:

https://zoom.us/j/97523588063

Meeting ID: 975 2358 8063

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,97523588063# US (Chicago)

+16468769923,,97523588063# US (New York)
Where the Blind Work Webinars:

As part of our Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) initiative, we are
holding another in a series of Where the Blind Work webinars on Wednesday,
January 26, 2022, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom. Hear from a panel of
blind professionals in a variety of fields and engage in Q&A.

Please click the link below to join the webinar:

https://zoom.us/j/94195782360

Or one tap mobile : US: +13017158592,,94195782360# or
+13126266799,,94195782360#

Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current
location):

US: +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 253 215
8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833

Webinar ID: 941 9578 2360

For information about how to register, please contact Maurice Peret at
410-659-9314, extension 2350, or mperet at nfb.org.
Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

February 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m. (virtual)

February 7-10: Washington Seminar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>

March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
<https://nfb.org/scholarships>

July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans