[Trainer-talk] What's different about Google and JAWS?

David Goldfield disciple1211 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 6 01:49:15 UTC 2011

Hi.  In Google's search preferences there are radio buttons allowing you
to either enable or disable the Google instant feature.  If you're a
screen reader user just go into that dialog and give it the command to
find the next radio button; R for JAWS and NVDA, NR for Window-eyes if
memory serves and you'll get to it easily.
Yes, I noticed that Google is putting the snippets from search results
below the address and that they've also eliminated the "similar" option,
which is just as well as I didn't find it helpful and I'm not sure how
many people actually used it.  It's one less thing to explain to my
students. <grin>  At least they use landmarks which at least allows NVDA
and JAWS users to quickly jump to the results.  I sure wish they'd do
something about adding accessibility to their precious Chrome browser.

David