[CT-NFB] BeLL-elebration

Honorata Kazmierczak honorata1120 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:34:34 UTC 2020

Dear Federationists,

Our convention is starting tomorrow. It would’ve been more exciting in
person, but as always, we make the best of what we have.  Our convention is
to celebrate the past years achievements and plan new victories for the
future.
 I have not been asked to do this, perhaps because of personal agendas, to
present to you details of the program that affiliate volunteers and blind
children have taken part in. So I am sharing them with you today.

During the Summer of 2020, for the first time ever, we held the NFB BELL
in-home edition Academy. This Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
program for ages 4-12 was a national initiative and collaboration to
provide our students with a virtual, instead of in person, learning
opportunity.

Nationwide, about 70 students from 36 states virtually attended this
premier event.  Five of our students registered for this dynamic structured
discovery learning supported by 5 mentor volunteers from our affiliate.
It was co-taught by volunteered Teachers of the Visually Impaired and
directed by our national leader, Karen Anderson. This one of a kind program
allowed students to explore variety of objects and instructional materials,
which they received prior to beginning of the program through generous
donations.

It was such a joy to listen to the students excitement and natural
curiosity come through as they asked questions, developed predictions, and
came up with great conclusions.  Each student discovered the hand brailling
method using a slate and stylist, decorated their new white canes, planted
seeds, and much more. With parents and mentor volunteers, they also
participated in a daily social hour during which they practiced topic
driven discussions, daily yoga, and using their imagination.

This program was only possible thanks to the volunteers, not only from our
state, but from around the country.  Bell-elebration concluded the program.
Both teachers and students shared their ‘BELL ringers’, highlights from the
sessions. Parents and students were surprised by attendance of our national
leader and Executive Director of the Blind Initiatives - Anil Lewis, and
our national President Mark A. Riccobono.  There was much to share and be
thankful for.

Behind the scenes,
In January of 2020, as I was newly appointed as the NFB BELL Academy
Coordinator by President Maryann Melley, I was merely given three weeks to
meet national deadlines for participation of our affiliate. I had the
obligations to coordinate training with state volunteers, TVI, which we did
not have yet, accommodations, transportations, and meal plan (were the most
urgent task).  It was amazing when 13 volunteers came forward from around
the state all interested to do what it takes to put together this much
needed help into the academy. This group included: Josefina, Kristen,
Nathaniel, Barb, Pam, Dali, Bernadette, Marchele, Dolores, Gary, Jasmine,
Briana, Brian, as well as the Teacher of Bisually Impaired , Phill Cowid.
Just as I had everything buttoned up, training was canceled due to
The COVID-19 pandemic.  Hoping that it would be under control in time for
the academy in July, we transitioned to conference call meetings and
training sessions.  All preparations were made to provide parents and
students with as much needed accommodations. Plans were being developed as
to the structure and nature of volunteers’ roles and adaptation of the
national curriculum. All of those preparations were taking place while I
was actively promoting NFB BELL program in search of students.  With an
attempt made in 2016 and only 1 student participating, I utilized all
available resources.
All-in-all, it was a full time job with much uncertainty brought up by the
growing positive cases of COVID-19.   By mid May, the decision was made to
transition all NFB BELL academies to a nationwide in-home edition.
All time was lost, but much knowledge was gained.
Kristen Dockendorff, Josefina Martinez, Dali Cantu, Jasmin Po, and I
contributed 164 hours toward this program in addition to over 100 hours
that I spent coordinating our combined effort.

Wether it’s in-person, or virtually, we at the National Federation of the
Blind of Connecticut are ready to serve blind children in our state and
promote the Braille Litteracy.

Despite dedicated TVI’s around our state, many of our nearly 400  students
lack braille proficiency, independent living skills, mobility, and
orientation.  As advocates of equal and fair oportunities for the blind, we
have an obligation to assure that our children have the best chance on
higher education, employment, and independent living. As I have been told,
Maryann does not wish for me to continue coordinating the efforts to
provide BELL, perhaps to personal agenda, but I sure hope that the next
person re-elected on Sunday is passionate and devoted to the cause. If
given the opportunity to continue my work, I promise to utilize all gained
knowledge to work together with our state volunteers to provide NFB BELL
Academy to the children in our state and hope to grow it in popularity.  I
am also saddened that we have yet to create a coordinated effort to support
parents of the blind children and include both in our annual conventions.
I hope that I will be entrusted to continue to drive our efforts to build
needed programs.
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart to the volunteers that stepped
forward, showed living our pledge to actively participate and to support
efforts of our federation, and serve our community.

Best regards,

Honorata Kazmierczak
Appointed Bational NFB Field Rep
Southwest board member